How To Serve Baked Beans To A Big Group
Start with baked beans and add a few more ingredients and you’ll find out how easy it is to serve them to a big group of friends.
But there’s nothing ordinary about baked beans. In fact, they’re quite extraordinary because they taste delicious and they look amazing too. So when you serve baked beans to a crowd of 50 guests, you’ll make sure they love it.
You just need to follow these simple steps:
1) Start with the right kind of beans. Use canned baked beans for the easiest results.
2) Add spices and herbs. These include Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard powder, paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, celery seed, turmeric, chili flakes, and bay leaves, thyme, sage, rosemary, and parsley. Mix well.
3) Before serving make sure the beans are hot. For a big crowd the best way of heating up, and keeping them warm is a slow cooker or crockpot.
4) Put them on a plate and sprinkle them with chopped onions, bacon bits, and cheese.
MAKING BAKED BEANS AHEAD OF TIME
After cooking the baked beans you can eat the beans straightaway, but they taste better left overnight. This is because the spices and herbs used seam to soak right into the beans.
The key is to let them cool for an hour before putting them into the fridge.
Then cover them or put them in an air tight container.
If you’d rather freeze them then put them in the fridge first for a few hours before placing into the freezer. You can easily store them for up to 3-6 months.
Cooking Baked Beans for a Large Group
Slow cookers are great for larger groups because there is enough room for everyone to sit down and enjoy dinner together, while the baked beans remain hot in the crockpot, so it is easy for people to help themselves to seconds also.
They’re also easy to clean. You just dump everything out into a bowl and wipe it down. If you want to make sure no one gets burned, put oven mitts on your hands while handling hot pans.
Microwave ovens are good for small groups because you can heat up foods quickly. This makes it easier to serve meals without waiting too long for food to finish cooking. But they are limited in size.
Slow cookers are great for making baked beans. But did you know they can keep food warm too? Or even better, slow cooker recipes can help save money because they use less electricity than ovens do.
You don’t have to spend hours prepping ingredients for a meal. Instead, simply add everything into the slow cooker and let it work its magic.
There are lots of ways to make slow cooker meals. Here are some tips:
1. Use meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and fruits.
2. Add seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, herbs, spices, and sauces.
3. Don’t forget about rice and pasta.
4. Make sure to check out our list of slow cooker recipes.
How to Make the Beans Go Further or Stretch
Serving up bean dip isn’t always easy. You want it to taste great, but you don’t want to run out of beans. Here are some tips to make sure you never go hungry while making your favorite dips.
Serve More Sides
What side dishes go well with baked beans
Baked beans are usually served with bread and cheese, but there are a few more interesting options out there. Try them out for yourself and find which ones you prefer.
You might also want to experiment with sweet potato fries, corn chips, and even pizza.
Bacon and Eggs of course are classics with baked beans.
Do not forget some toast or sourdough bread.
Smaller Plates or Bowls
A recent study found that people tend to eat less if the size of their plates are smaller. In fact, one group ate about 20% fewer calories per person if their plate was half the size compared to another group whose plates were twice as big.
Add to the Beans
If you’re looking for something healthy to eat during the week, try adding some extra ingredients to your beans. You could add bacon or onions to make them more filling or even make it into a bean dip by adding sour cream.
Recipe for Homemade Baked Beans for a Crowd
This recipe makes enough baked beans for about 10 people. You can use canned beans, but I prefer dried beans because you don’t have to soak them overnight. If you’re cooking for a crowd, make sure you have plenty of oven space.
Healthy Homemade Recipe For Baked Beans For 10 People
- Olive oil 3 tablespoons
- Garlic finely diced or minced – 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Passata or Tomato Puree 4 cups
- Tomato Paste 3 tablespoon
- Vegetable Stock 1 cup
- 3 cups Can Haricot Navy beans
- On medium heat the oil
- Put in the minced garlic and cook and stir, but do allow to go to brown or burn.
- Turn down the heat then stir in the paprika and bay leaves. Stir it with the garlic
- Put in the passata, tomato puree, and vegetable stock
- Let gently simmer for 15 to 20 mins
- Taste after 15 minutes and check the sharp tomato taste has gone
- Add in the Navy beans and gently cook for another 10 mins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Finally, add extras like bacon etc
Homemade or Home-Style Baked Beans are really a hearty side dish with a little smoky flavour. They have less sugar and salt than commercial canned beans, making them ideal a healthy servingINGREDIENT INFORMATION
PASSATA is tomato puree that has been strained. It is often packaged in big glass bottles or cans. It’s made entirely of tomatoes and is much finer (think smooth) than crushed tomatoes.
SMOKED PAPRIKA adds a delightful sweet and smoky flavour character to these beans without adding much heat to the meal (unless you choose a hot, smoked paprika) It will not taste the same if you use a different paprika.
BEANS- Haricot, often known as navy beans, are used in the majority of commercial canned baked beans. You should be able to purchase them pre-cooked in big cans.
Canned beans are more handy since they enable you to create the dish without first soaking and pre-cooking your beans.
Cannellini beans may be substituted for Navy (haricot) beans.
They are a meatier variety of navy beans that work well in the dish but will have a different appearance than commercial baked beans.
If you can’t locate canned navy beans but still want to utilise this smaller bean, you should be able to get them dried at a bulk goods/scoop shop.
Before making this meal, soak dried beans overnight and then boil them till tender.
SUGAR & BAKED BEANS
Canned baked beans sometimes include a lot of extra salt and sugar, which is why I decided to create my own.
To lessen the acidity, I suggest cooking the tomatoes sauce for 15 moinutes.