Our kitchen is where the delicious magic unfolds. I’m all about simple recipes and sharing them with our online pals
The amount of prime rib per person depends on the size of the crowd you’re feeding, but I’d suggest budgeting at least 1.2x servings per person. That way you can cater to big eaters and those who want seconds.
For a large group or a holiday dinner, how much prime rib should you serve each person?
- A half-pound of cooked prime rib is normally consumed by each person. If you’re serving a Christmas or Thanksgiving buffet, visitors who assist themselves are likely to take a bit more, particularly if the prime rib is the only meat item on the menu. As a result, you should allocate up to 3/4 pounds for this.
- Another technique to figure out how much prime rib to serve per person is to serve one rib for every two visitors.
- However, there will be differences based on the nature of your party list and how many side dishes you provide. It’s advisable to allocate for 1/2 pound of cooked prime rib for each person there.
If you want to serve prime rib as part of a larger meal, consider serving it with mashed potatoes and gravy (How Much Gravy Do You Need Per Person), green beans, or roasted vegetables like carrots and onions.
See our Prime Rib Pounds Per Person Calculator below, which takes into consideration the number of guests, the number of main courses, and side dishes. Many people use this calculator to figure out how much prime rib to purchase and serve for each visitor during Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Christmas, and other family gatherings.
Here Is Our Online Calculator For Prime Rib
By selecting guest details you can add more granular detail on who is coming.
A Table Of How Many Pounds Of Rib Per Person?
|Number of Guests
|Buy (Raw) Prime Rib (lb)
|Prime Rib (lb) Per Person
Remember, when you are making prime rib, you are also making side dishes, it is very important to take into account how many of the sides you will serve.
Here is one of the best ways to make Prime Rib Roast, it is easy and great for a crowd.
- Where to Put a Turkey in The Oven for The Best Cooking
- What Rack Position to Put a Roast Chicken in An Oven
How Much Prime Rib Roast Per Person to Feed 10 People
- If Prime Rib is the main dish with a few sides then you will need 5 pounds for 10 people. However, if you have big meat eaters coming and minimal side dishes you may need up the quantity served by 30-40%.
How Much Prime Rib Roast Per Person to Feed 20 People
- If Prime Rib is the main dish with a few sides then you will need 10 pounds for 20 people.
How Much Prime Rib Roast Per Person to Feed 50 People
- If Prime Rib is the main dish with a few sides then you will need 25 pounds for 50 people.
Other Catering For A Crowd Articles You May Be Interested In
- Calculator For How Much Flank Steak Per Person
- Calculator For How Much Brisket Per Person
- Calculator For How Much Pulled Pork Per Person
How Many Guests Does One Prime Rib Roast Feed
A 5 Bone Prime Rib Roast will feed 8-9 People, this caters to big eaters.
What Is The Best Way To Cut and Serve A Prime Rib Roast?
Always start by resting your prime rib for at least 5 minutes before cutting it.
Then put it on a nonslip cutting board, have a sharp knife and you are ready to go.
- Cut it slowly and carefully by slicing the meat off the rib bones one complete rib at a time.
- Follow carefully the line or shape of the rib as you cut
- To get maximum tenderness where possible cut against the grain.
What is Prime Rib?
Prime Rib is a nice cut coming from a flavorful part of the cow. The loin muscle (eye) is the most tender part of the beef. Fat marbling gives the meat a nice flavor.
Is Prime Rib and Rib Eye the Same?
Yes! They are from the same original cut. Prime Rib is a large steak cut from the rib section of beef cattle. It includes the rib-eye muscle. Prime rib is often served medium rare or well done. Prime rib is usually cooked by roasting or grilling.
Why is Prime Rib so Good?
Prime Rib Steak is a succulent, tender, and tasty cut of meat. The ribs section has muscles that are not used in the same way as other meat cuts. Also, they’re higher in fat than other cuts. This makes them more tender, easier to chew, and much tastier.
How to Prep Your Prime Roast
The best way to prepare prime rib is to first sear it and then cook it slowly and serve medium-rare. This allows the meat to develop flavor and tenderness without drying out.
Buy The Best – USDA grade-prime roast
You should buy USDA prime grade if you want high-quality beef, it will be the most expensive though. Only 2% of prime rib beef is available is of this level of meat grade, so you’ll have a better chance of buying it from a butcher than from a supermarket.
Go for the roast at the small end of the ribs
The best way to cook prime rib is to start with a whole beef rib roast. If you don’t want to spend the money, you can ask your butcher to cut off a portion of the top of the rib. This will give you the same amount of meat but will not include any bone.
What Are Some Ways to Season Prime Rib?
The best way to season prime rib is by rubbing salt into the meat before cooking. This helps draw out moisture from the surface of the meat, which makes the meat juicier. Rubbing the meat with butter or oil after cooking is another great way to add flavor.
Is Prime Rib Easy to Cook?
It is not difficult, just prepare well first and follow your recipe. Do not rush. Prime rib is expensive, but it’s worth every penny. You need to allow your prime rib to come to room temperature before you start cooking. So take it out one hour before,
A good quality meat thermometer is essential when cooking prime rib.