Our kitchen is where the delicious magic unfolds. I’m all about simple recipes and sharing them with our online pals
Are you having a firepit cookout, going on a picnic, or tailgate party, one of the easiest dishes to serve is potato salad. Be it vegan potato salad or regular the first question people ask is how much do I need Potato Salad Per Person?
See our handy chart or table below where we give you the exact answers for How much potato salad is needed for a big group or family reunion of 10,20,25,50,75 and 100 people.
It is also seen as an alternative to pasta salad or mashed potatoes.
For your holiday dessert bar – how many mini pastries per person do you serve?
What to serve with Potato Salad for a big crowd – pulled pork burgers – see how much pulled pork per person for a big group.
A good alternative to potato salad can be coleslaw – see how much coleslaw per person for a crowd.
How Much Potato Salad Do You Need Per Person For 10,20,25,50,75 or 100 people?
This will depend on the other side dishes and main you are serving, but I would work on about 6 ounces of potato salad per family guest.
How Much Potato Salad Per Person for 10 People
- How Many Cups of Potato Salad for 10 People – You will need 8 cups.
- How many oz Potato Salad per person for 10 people – You will need 64 ounces
- How many pounds of Potato Salad per person for 10 people – You will need 4 lb
- How many containers (16oz) of supermarket Potato Salad will you need for 10 people – you will need 4 containers.
You should have enough potato salad for each guest at least 1.2 servings per guest. For larger parties that last a long time or an extended Thanksgiving day lunch and dinner, you might consider making more extra servings.
How Much Potato Salad Per Person for 20 People
- How Many Cups of Potato Salad for 20 Party Attendees – You will need 16 cups.
- How many oz Potato Salad per person for 20 Staff at a company picnic – You will need 128 ounces
- How many pounds of Potato Salad per person for 20 Fire pit Cookout Guests – You will need 8 lb
- How many containers (16oz) of supermarket Potato Salad will you need for 20 Tail Gate Party guests – you will need 10 containers.
Is potato salad healthy for party guests?
Potato salad has been considered by many nutritionists to be high in carbohydrates, but this isn’t necessarily true as you can add less potato and more egg. I would also add that between drinking and eating chips potato salad relatively speaking is healthy compared to other party food.
How Much Potato Salad Per Person for 25 People
- How Many Cups of Potato Salad for 25 Party Attendees – You will need 20 cups.
- How many oz Potato Salad per person for 25 people – You will need 160 ounces
- How many pounds of Potato Salad per person for 25 guests – You will need 10 lb
- How many containers (16oz) of supermarket Potato Salad will you need for 25 Party guests – you will need 12 containers.
How many does a quart of potato salad serve – A quart of potato salad will serve approximately 9 people.
Do you recommend using all white or sweet potatoes for potato salad
White potatoes work well but you could substitute some of the white potatoes with sweet potatoes. they tend to be a little softer in texture.
How Much Potato Salad Per Person for 50 People
- How Many Cups of Potato Salad for 50 people- You will need 40 cups.
- How many oz Potato Salad per person for 50 guests – You will need 320 ounces
- How many pounds of Potato Salad per person for 50 guests – You will need 20 lb
- How many containers (16oz) of supermarket Potato Salad will you need for 50 Party guests – you will need 25 containers.
Does potato salad have fat content?
The amount of fat contained within potato salad varies depending upon how many different types of foods are used to prepare it, but it is not too bad.
How Much Potato Salad Per Person for 75 People
- How Many Cups of Potato Salad for 75 people- You will need 60 cups.
- How many oz Potato Salad per person for 75 guests – You will need 480 ounces
- How many pounds of Potato Salad per person for 75 guests – You will need 30 lb
- How many containers (16oz) of supermarket Potato Salad will you need for 75 Party guests – you will need 37 containers.
I’ve made several batches of potato salad over the years and here are my tips:
1.) Don’t use frozen potatoes. They’re mushy and don’t hold up very well. Use freshly cooked ones.
2.) Boil the potatoes first but not too soft. Then let them sit until cooled off completely. That way they won’t soak up excess moisture while sitting in the refrigerator overnight.
How Much Potato Salad Per Person for 100 People
- How Many Cups of Potato Salad for 100 people- You will need 80 cups.
- How many oz Potato Salad per person for 100 guests – You will need 640 ounces
- How many pounds of Potato Salad per person for 100 guests – You will need 40 lb
- How many containers (16oz) of supermarket Potato Salad will you need for 100 Party guests – you will need 50 containers.
How Many Pounds of Potatoes for Homemade Potato Salad do I need to buy to feed 10,20,25,50,75 or 100 people?
- For 10 People you will need 3.6 lbs of potatoes
- For 20 People you will need 7.2 lbs of potatoes
- For 25 People you will need 9 lbs of potatoes
- For 50 People you will need 18 lbs of potatoes
- For 75 People you will need 27 lbs of potatoes
- For 100 People you will need 36 lbs of potatoes
How many pounds of potatoes per person for potato salad?
You will need just under half a pound of potatoes per person to cook for potato salad.
For a group or family of 4 people, you will need 3.6 cups or about 30 oz of potato salad.
For two people you will need about 4 tablespoons of potato salad.
What Are the Best Types Of Potatoes To Use for Potato Salad
Waxy potatoes are the best type of potato to use for making potato salad. They hold up well when cooked and have a nice texture that doesn’t get mushy when mixed with other ingredients like mayonnaise. Waxy potatoes also tend to be less starchy than russet potatoes (thick skin) so they don’t turn gummy when boiled.
Here are some ideas
- Yukon Gold
- Red Potatoes
- White Potato
- Yellow Fin
What are the best meats to serve with potato salad at a party?
Pulled Pork, salad dressing on chicken, and burnt ends of beef or brisket. You can not beat meat and classic potato salad.
Top Tips on How To Make Perfect Potato Salad
- Cut the potatoes before you boil them. This enables even boiling and cooking of the cubes of potato
- Let the hot potatoes cool down to warm before mixing into the salad recipe.
- It is a best practice to let the cubed potato dry also – water is not good for the potato salad.
- Cook extra potatoes up to 10 percent more to allow for wastage, e.g. small potato cubes disintegrating in the boiling water.
What other ingredients can I use to make my potato salad full of flavor and unique?
- green onion or red onion
- salt (garlic salt) and black pepper
- hard-boiled egg
- meat like bacon
- pickles or dill pickles (some people like to add a little pickle juice)
- cold water
- olive oil
- Sour Cream
- Celery Seeds
- Yellow Mustard
Other Side dishes I can serve with Potato salad are coleslaw, baked beans, blue cheese, and dill pickle. Some will also add Miracle Whip with a little apple cider vinegar and yellow mustard.
Can I boil potatoes ahead of time for potato salad?
Yes, you can boil potatoes ahead of time – kept covered and cool in the fridge they will last for 3-4 days.
Can you boil potatoes the night before? – Yes you can boil them the evening before. It is a good idea because they will be cool and firm when you mix in the mayo, egg anther other ingredients for your delicious recipe of “spuds”, “tater” or “tuber”.
How much potato salad to make per person?
For each person make 6-7 ounces of potato salad. This includes the mayonnaise and hard-boiled etc.
How Many Pounds of Potato Salad Per Person Do You Need for Your Outside Fire pit BBQ of 15 guests?
For your BBQ or Firepit cookout you will need 12 pounds of potato salad.
How many people do 5 lbs of potato salad feed?
Five pounds of potato salad will easily feed 10 guests and can be stretched to 15 there is a good choice of other side dishes.
How much potato salad for 8 adults
For 8 adults you will need about 3.6 lbs of potato salad.
How much potato salad is one serving
One Serving of potato salad is 6-7 oz.
How do you keep potato salad from getting watery?
To prevent potato salad from becoming watery, place the potatoes in a bowl filled with ice-cold water. This will cool down the potatoes quickly which prevents them from absorbing too much moisture.
Furthermore, if you want to make sure your potato salad stays as fresh as possible, cover and refrigerate it right after you finish preparing it. If you leave it uncovered or exposed to heat for any length of time, the salad will absorb extra liquid from the air around it, causing it to become soggy.